The top-selling console of all time continues to be Sony'’ s PlayStation 2– and also it'’ s in no risk of shedding that crown at any time soon. Despite the proceeding success of PlayStation 4 over the past 7 years, Sony is still about 40 million devices away from surpassing the PS2'’ s leading spot, while Nintendo ‘ s runaway success with Change still puts it well behind also PS4.
So while PlayStation 4 as well as Switch over continue to secure their places amongst the best-selling consoles of perpetuity, we set out to uncover how the remainder of Sony, Nintendo, as well as Microsoft'’ s equipment stack up. To do so, we assembled a listing of the 15 best-selling video game gaming consoles of perpetuity, with extra info on launch days, highest-rated video games, as well as much more.
(Some sales figures come right from the hardware makers, while others are estimated based on the most just recently reported numbers as well as market evaluation. Unofficial sales total amounts are marked with an asterisk (*).)
10. PlayStation Portable
Initial release day: December 12, 2004 (JP)
Production status: Ended
Highest-rated games: God of Battle: Chains of Olympus, Grand Burglary Automobile: Chinatown Wars, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable
* Sony last reported a main sales total amount for PSP in 2012, when it introduced the handheld had actually sold 76 million systems. The system would continue to be produced for an additional two years, throughout which time it'’ s uncertain precisely the number of systems were sold. Quotes for life time sales usually kick back 80 million, with some reports can be found in closer to 82 million, which would certainly place it over Nintendo'’ s GBA. Nevertheless, sticking with the more-conservative price quote of 80 million, PSP comes in as the 10th-best-selling console of all time.
9. Video Game Boy Development
Initial release day: March 21, 2001 (JP)
Manufacturing condition: Finished
Highest-rated video games: The Tale of Zelda: A Web Link to the Past, Tony Hawk'’ s Pro Skater 2, Super Mario Development 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
This main sales figure comes straight from Nintendo. The business likewise notes software program sales for the portable closed at 377 million devices. The Game Young boy Advance line of gadgets included various layout models and also type elements, the last of which was the Video Game Boy Micro in 2005. The top-selling design was the Game Young Boy Development SP, with 43.57 million units offered. The Game Young boy Micro only offered 2.42 million in its short run.
8. Xbox 360
Preliminary release day: November 22, 2005 (NA)
Production status: Finished
Highest-rated video games: Grand Burglary Car IV, Grand Theft Car V, BioShock
* In June 2014, Microsoft reported it had actually delivered 84 million Xbox 360s to sellers. While Microsoft quit reporting details sales figures in 2015, the system remained in production for almost 2 years. Throughout that two-year period, we can safely think Microsoft converted that 84 million number from sell-in to sell-through, while, cautiously approximating, relocating an additional one million devices. If precise, that would position Xbox 360 in the 8th area on the list of very successful gaming consoles.
7. PlayStation 3
Preliminary launch date: November 11, 2006 (JP)
Production condition: Ended
Highest-rated games: Grand Burglary Automobile IV, Grand Burglary Vehicle V, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
* As of March 31, 2017, PS3 had sold 87.4 million units, according to Sony. The system would certainly continue to be in manufacturing through May of that same year. With that said in mind, it'’ s likely PS3 finished its run with someplace between 87 and 88 million units sold, leaving us with our conventional quote of 87.5
6. Nintendo Wii
Initial launch day: November 19, 2006 (NA)
Production condition: Finished
Highest-rated games: Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, The Tale of Zelda: Golden Princess
According to main sales numbers from Nintendo, Wii ended its run as the fifth-best-selling console of all time. With over 100 million systems sold, Wii created 920 million systems of software sales —– the 2nd most for any Nintendo console.
5. PlayStation –– 102.4 million
First launch date: December 3, 1994 (JP)
Production standing: Finished
Highest-rated video games: Tony Hawk'’ s Pro Skater 2, Tekken 3, Gran Turismo According to
Sony, the original PlayStation ‘ s final sales total sits at 102.4 million, with over 960 million software program units marketed. This makes it the third-best-selling Sony console ever, as it was lately surpassed by PlayStation 4. 4. PlayStation 4– 115.2 million First